This solution goes beyond our typical reporting features to illustrate the use of more advanced analytics. These are used to create actionable reports and produce large-scale cohort analyses for Business Intelligence systems. The system incorporates data exports to 3rd party data warehouses for aggregate processing.
This solution is ideal for:
- Clients with advanced reporting needs
- Data-centric clients
- Clients who have a large number of users
- Want to extract real meaning from their assessment results
- Have custom reporting needs requiring access to raw data
OmniCorp produces a range of educational products for the K-12 market, with a particular focus on mathematics. In addition to printed textbooks, they provide companion web-based workbooks with interactive assessments. Typically, an assessment appears at the end of each chapter in the workbook. Each of these assessments, or activities, contain 20 questions. OmniCorp currently has 40 such assessments in its online system.
The existing content creation and delivery system allows OmniCorp to create multiple choice questions, fill in the blanks questions and some basic drag and drop questions. Some questions are presented alongside videos or images which the student refers to when giving their response. Reporting is in the form of a simple percentage grade per student.
Having grown their organisation for 10 years, OmniCorp are now eager to bid for larger contracts at state and district level. The specification for these contracts outline a requirement that OmniCorp does not currently fulfill. District administrators need bidders to deliver advanced analytics functionality for their Business Intelligence systems. These include cohort analysis and detailed datasets for data warehouse processing.
There are three distinct areas where OmniCorp needs to improve:
- They need a mechanism to generate analytics on subsets of the subject matter covered in their existing assessments
- They need to deliver actionable reports and large scale analytics across their entire customer base
- They need to make their aggregated data available for 3rd party systems to consume
Knowing how a student performed overall in an assessment is no longer sufficient. The teachers need to know what parts of a particular subject each individual student needs help with. On completion of a general math exam, the teacher should be able to tell at a glance if the student needs help with trigonometry, algebra, calculus etc. They also need a view of how the class, as a whole, is doing in each area. At the district level, policymakers will need to examine hundreds of thousands of students across various schools to help them examine the effects of existing policies and identify areas for improvement.
OmniCorp can meet all of their requirements using the Learnosity APIs and hosted services. We will walk through an example where OmniCorp has used:
- The Author Site (using tagging for tag-based reporting)
- The Learnosity-hosted authoring environment will allow OmniCorp to author questions in a user-friendly instinctual manner
- This tool also provides a powerful and flexible tagging mechanism. This is an open taxonomy which allows OmniCorp to create any number of tags and tag hierarchies and then apply those to their content
- OmniCorp has a series of 40 existing assessments, these can be re-authored or imported into their Learnosity-hosted Item Bank
- Learnosity Math
- As OmniCorp are a math-focussed company they will also benefit from state-of-the-art math authoring and delivery capabilities through the Learnosity Math product
- The Items API
- Used to present the assessment to the student
- The Items API pulls items from OmniCorp's Learnosity-hosted Item bank
- Along with CSS styling and other customisations, will render a branded version of the assessment inside the clients existing web-based workbook
- Questions can be rendered one by one in an inline fashion, intermixed with the learning material. Alternatively, the questions can be rendered in a full-featured assessment 'player' which is typically placed at the end of each chapter in OmniCorp’s workbooks
- The Items API saves the student's work and submits it to the Learnosity servers for automatic scoring
- The Reports API
- Automatically builds a series of standard report types based on the results of OmniCorp’s auto-scored assessments
- Tag-based reports include information on which area of the subject matter the students require assistance with, on a class or individual basis
- The reports will be embedded in OmniCorp's back-end admin system, and can optionally be shown to students immediately on completion of an assessment
- The Data API
- A server to server API which gives the client access to all of their raw data
- Extract data to local or third-party servers for bespoke data warehousing operations as required by district administrators
- Data Analysis Engine
- A cloud-based data processing service used in conjunction with the Data API
- Can be used to create flexible and complex cohorts of students and compare them in browsable reports using up to 20 statistical measures (mean, median, percentile scores, standard deviation etc)